What Is A Wrongful Death Claim?
The death of someone you care about can be emotionally devastating under any circumstances. But when it’s someone you depended on financially the loss can be especially catastrophic.
There are many misconceptions about the laws relating to wrongful death, and it’s important to seek counsel from a lawyer experienced in wrongful death cases as soon as possible. My law firm, Frank P. Bianco, P.A., is located in New Port Richey and is ready to help you in these difficult times.
What Is A Wrongful Death?
In simple terms a wrongful death results from the willful or negligent act (or failure to act) by another person or persons.
A wrongful death action is separate and apart from criminal charges, and neither proceeding controls the other. This means that a defendant acquitted of murder may be sued in a civil action by the victim’s family for wrongful death.
Contact An Experienced Wrongful Death Attorney In Pasco County
When a death occurs, emotions can run high so it’s important to receive sound advice from someone you can count on as soon as possible. Frank P. Bianco, P.A., is a Florida law firm experienced in wrongful death litigation. I live and work right here in New Port Richey, and I’ll work one-on-one with you throughout the legal process. First I investigate your case to determine if a wrongful death action is appropriate and possible. If so, I aggressively pursue your case to achieve the best possible outcome for you.
Some Things You Should Know About Wrongful Death Cases
- The statute of limitations for wrongful death actions is two years.
- In general, spouses and dependent children (or other dependents) under age 25 can be eligible for wrongful death awards.
- In some cases, parents of a dependent child are also eligible either due to clear evidence that the child was or would soon earn a substantial income, or due to emotional distress.
- Dependents over 25 years of age are not eligible.
- Suits may be made against the person responsible for the wrongful death, their insurance company or your insurance company in cases involving uninsured motorists.
Important Actions To Take Related to Wrongful Death Cases
- Take pictures or procure pictures taken by police of accident scenes.
- Autopsies are important, and can help confirm that no drugs or alcohol were taken by the deceased.
- It may be important to hire your own experts in accident reconstruction or to establish the potential future income of the deceased.